|By Susan Emerson Nutter
Being asked to pick favorite pieces that sold during Garth’s 13th Annual Ohio Valley & Americana Auction held May 10 is like being asked to name your favorite child. Such variety. Such unique characteristics. Such beauty across all genres. Garth’s always does Americana well, and is known for bringing great Ohio pieces to auction at their Ohio-based gallery and this May event was no different.
Smalls did exceedingly well starting with Lot 1; a Bennington flint enamel oil lamp. Probably made between 1849 and 1858, this lamp had a stepped base and baluster column in appealing greens and blues. It was also signed on the base “IXA”.
According to Richard Carter Barrett’s tome, Bennington Pottery and Porcelain most of the glass fittings for these lamps were made at Sandwich. At 14 ¼ inch high, this lamp realized $4,200. Prices include a buyer’s premium.
A circa 1861 soup plate from Abraham Lincoln’s State service from E.V. Haughwout & Co., New York, and featuring a transfer-print of an American eagle and banner with hand-painting as well as a purple/magenta border and gilt rim measured 7 ¾inches in diameter and sold for $8,750.
Furniture offered this day ran the gamut of a 72-inch high pine, two-piece American plantation desk which brought $2,250 to a circa 1760 cherry, American Queen Anne dressing table attributed to Coastal Connecticut or Rhode Island that realized $3,120.
Then there was the circa 1850 American decorated Empire chest with the contemporary vinegar-sponge graining by Dan Cole that sold for $2,400, while a Berks County, Pa., six-board, poplar decorated blanket chest went to $3,960. With bracket feet and scroll returns adding interest, the chest’s vinegar-sponge paint with compass and stars on each end panel and three painted panels on the front; one having tulips as well as German text and the date 1820 sealed the deal.
Two large cupboards also wearing color sold strong. A poplar American two-piece shrank with pegged and square nail construction dressed in old green paint came in at $3,000, while an American country pine corner cupboard with molded cornice and reeded, dentil molding in old blue paint went to $3,750.
The Ohio Valley portion of this affair always includes items of note. A Barberton, Ohio, decorated pottery, globe-shaped bank in a brown glaze realized $2760. At 4 inches high, the bank was incised “Barberton, Ohio, CCOK A.O., O. 25 J, 1911.”
An 11 inch high, Ohio sewer tile dog from Newcomerstown, Ohio, and attributed to George Bagnall (circa 1860 to 1890) wearing its original ivory paint with a gold painted lock squashed its pre-sale estimate of $600 to $900 when it sold for $6,240.
Among the Ohio furniture pieces offered, a blanket chest attributed to Valentine Yoder of Sugarcreek in Tuscarawas County, sold for $2,750. The chest wore its original paint with an urn of flowers on the front panel. The Sonnenberg schrank from Wayne County, Ohio, dated 1840 and wearing old green over red paint decoration that included hearts and pinwheels and the original owner’s name over the door was a great buy at $2,400.
Two Ohio farm drawings were well received with the buyers shopping this May event. A color pencil drawing on paper measuring 35½ inches by 45¼ inches by Ferdinand Brader (Swiss/American, 1833-1901) realized $6,300. The panoramic view was of the “Residence of Charles and Susan Wilderson, Columbiana, Ohio 1892.”
And the 29 inch high by 41 ¾ inch wide pencil on paper Doylestown farm drawing by E. L. Ott made $3,960. The image showing a farm with horses and other animals was signed “Sketched Oct 9, 1899 by E. L Ott, Doylestown, O.”
Items with an artistic bent were not limited to just Ohio pieces at this Garth’s auction. An American decorated panel, possibly a fireboard or wagon board of an American eagle with the banner “E. Plurbus Unum” on the front and vining foliage on the back as well as two wrought iron straps on the back wore its original yellow paint and sold for $5,160.
And a double-sided American wooden cutout advertising sign in its original paint with “322 Groceries, Cigars and Tobacco, Candies” artist signed “Churchill” went to $3,000.
Garth’s highly anticipated move to their new digs at the historic and recently renovated Municipal Light Plant will be taking place in July. Garth’s is currently moving in stages to their new permanent gallery; The Municipal Light Plant located at 589 Nationwide Blvd., Columbus, OH 43215. Based on the current renovation progress and speed, Garth’s is anticipating holding their July 12 and 13 auction in the MLP.
Contact: (740) 362-4771